Handy Backup 2.1 performs three types of actions - backup, restore and synchronization.
Backup is the most frequently used type. Use backup for saving your important files into another storage location. If some files are corrupted or lost in the source folder, you can easily restore them. Handy Backup 2.1 performs two most prevalent backup types: 1) full backup - the program copies all files to backup destination and later overwrites all backup files with newer ones; 2) incremental backup - only those files that changed since a previous backup will be backed up; files are compared by date and time of the last change.
- Many office environments require you to copy files to network server or network storage so that the files will get backed up. Many people forget to copy files from their local machine to server or network storage. With Handy Backup 2.1 you can automatically copy files from your local workstation to server or network storage.
- You can backup important files in case they accidentally get deleted from your hard disk or it refuses to work. You can have individual configurations for different projects or applications to divide files volumes down so that each fits on a single 1.44 MB floppy or Zip disk.
Restore is used for restoring files from a backup copy. This type is useful for recovering accidentally lost or corrupted data. The files will be replaced with the copies from storage.
- If your files were backed up in another location on your computer, e.g. in another hard disk or directory, you can restore them in case of their loss, damage or corruption. However, backing up your files on local machine will not allow you to restore them if the whole system crashes.
- If you accidentally lost your backed up files on your computer, with the help of Handy Backup 2.1 you can restore your files from another location - from another machine in the network or from a remote FTP server.
This transfer type synchronizes files between original and destination folders. Use this type for synchronizing files between different locations (i.e. home and office).
- Copying files between work and home computers automatically without necessity to use any storage media. Using Handy Backup 2.1 you can modify files on work computer and they will be synchronized with home computer.
- Keep your laptop synchronized with the desktop. With Handy Backup 2.1 you can copy files between your laptop or notebook computer and your desktop computer keeping all important files updated on both systems.
- Handy Backup 2.1 can also be used to copy files between servers to have synchronized information across the network.
- If you periodically copy files or files bases from one computer to another, you know that if something goes wrong during the copying process you'll have to start copying all over again. Using Handy Backup 2.1, once you set up source and destination locations, even if there is a problem, you won't have to start copying all over again. Simply correct the problem and Handy Backup 2.1 will copy only missed or changed files since the last copying operation.
The capability of comparing date-time stamps allows a variety of uses:
- You can synchronize files on two computers, i.e. bring them to the same state. The newer version replaces the older one, and files not existing on one machine are added. Synchronizing can work in only one direction or in both. This is useful e.g. between a notebook and a desktop PC or among network computers. If computers are not connected directly, files can be transferred with the help of a floppy disk.
Read also about synchronize files and folders in shareware version of Handy Backup.
Go to Help Contents
Handy Backup 2.1 Interface